Wednesday, July 30, 2008

the "all twisted" moniker fits

15 students. For whatever reason I haven't had new students in my class for a while. I had a few new-to-me people; folks who have recently started practicing at our studio. Today I taught one such fellow, but he had such a strong practice I didn't feel I needed to worry about or focus too much on him. I did have one student with major physical challenges due to some serious birth defects. She is so resilient and dedicated. She amazes me. She asked for a few hands-on adjustments, and I actually looked forward to them. I wish I could find words to express how it felt to adjust her, but it seems today's theme is "I am Anna's twisted brain."

The entire class I tripped over dialogue. I told the class to relax their ears away from their heads. I caught that one at least, corrected myself, and joked that separating the ears from the head was an advanced posture. I don't know why I kept messing up my words. It just happened. Maybe my messed-up vision (which has improved immensely) had something to do with it, or maybe the uncertainty of my own place at/in the studio. Who knows? Somehow today I couldn't speak straight. At least I can salvage such days with humor, and the class seems to appreciate that.

I opted to make a lot of corrections, and get a little more fearless with adjustments. The risk worked, since all the students I adjusted thanked me. I spent some time after class working with someone on Locust. My next challenge: how to explain subtle details without talking too much. Again, I don't know if I verbalized that as well as I could have, but I hope it makes sense.

*******
I feel a need to divulge the story of my own path to yoga. So far I've been a bit hesitant, for a myriad of reasons. Namely: I'm not the same person I used to be, so why dwell on that? But then again, technically I'm not the same person I was when I started writing this entry. Sometimes it does make sense to retrace one's steps and see how far one has come. And if someone new stumbles upon this blog, perhaps the backstory will help explain why I write what I write.

Is tonight that night... the night to share the early years? Not so much. Tonight I'll explain the origin of the blog's address.



Kraut were one of the early New York hardcore bands. Like me, Kraut was from Queens. (Yes, I have loads of Queens pride.) For shits and giggles when I toyed with the idea of starting this blog I googled "all twisted" to see what would come up. I always had this song in mind, but I was curious to see if anyone else had used the phrase in a web address.

I like the play on words. All twisted... geddit?!

1 comment:

Jonny said...

Interestingggg!
I love your tattoo by the way!
I'm Jonny by the way,
I came across your blog while browsing.
And i'm glad I did because I like it.
Well feel free to read/comment my posts.
I'd greatly appreciate it.
:]
- Jonny